Trust The Children

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I Never Felt More Alive



I read this quote on another list. I asked Beth for permission to share it. The picture above isn't Beth. At least I don't think it is. But it is the feeling I get from her post. Look for elements of balance, of involvement, or personal fulfillment in the quote below. What is it about Beth that you think really hits home?

"We kinda got into HSIng by accident. My first son is gifted and from day one just had a thirst for knowledge and loves to read and learn. While doing preschool at home I began to read on HSing and the opportunities it gives to children. There are sooo many ways to do it. We do structured Math and Language Arts but the rest is based on a guided interest on their part and we do it together. This year my son choose Chemistry so we are doing that for science and We are in our second year of studying history Chronologically. My two boys LOVE history! I never knew learning could be soooo contaigous and exhilerating. We totally enjoyed learning about the ancient Greeks last year. I am not bored and I feel challenged every day by their interest in life and what we are reading and learning about. It keeps me on my toes. I would have to say that I have never felt more alive in all my life. At first it might have seemed like I gave up a lot to do this...but to be quite honest I feel like I am gaining more than I could ever have gained doing something else. I enjoy learning and I feel like I am getting the education that I never had. And I get to do it with my children."

For me, there is a sense that as a parent, she is doing her best for her children, but she is also doing things that she loves too. Reminds me of Covey and his concept, P and PC. Production and Production Capability. Or B or BC. Building myself AND building the child. (That's my version ;-)) As long as Beth is loving what SHE is getting out of home schooling, AND seeing her children growing and thriving, you get the idea that their family is in position to go the distance in this home schooling journey.

I have seen that in Cyndy over the years. She loves to explore. Can't go anywhere without seeing something new she didn't see last time. Funny how sometimes she literally needs to drag the boys along, but when they get there of course they have fun, love it and wonder why they made such a fuss.

I don't know about you, but that just gives me hope. Thanks Beth and more thanks to Cyndy. I can't thank enough, nor can our children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home